Monday, January 14, 2008

Sydney in my mind


Travel, sydney, new south wales, australia
I am not really much of a world traveller to make trips around the world but thank God i have been lucky enough to be able to made some trips overseas.
My first trip abroad was to Australia in december 1989. It was a pleasant trip. My uncles accompany me to bali, after spent 3 days of sight seeing in kuta beach area we waved goodbye at the airport as i would be gone for 2 years to continue my study.
It was my first flight on boeing big top jumbo jet, originally i made reservation to fly with Qantas but actually it was caledonia air that took me to Sydney.
Sydney was a beautiful cosmopolitan harbor city surrounded by beautiful beaches. It did not take long for me to fall in love with this city. Manly beach, bondi, coogee to maroubra beach are so beautiful and very close to central busines district.
I was enchanted by the life style of this coastal beach suburbs, though i never live close or next to the ocean, but never to far either.
At that time i was moving around sharing flat with my mates in eastlakes, marrickville, dulwich hill and kensington.
I enjoy hang out with my fellow mates in kingsford and randwick, that is where most of indonesian student live. What good friends i had, those memorable days of dine out or having yum cha in china town or just driving around sydney larger area. I missed those friends. Thank you for being my friends, guys n gals, and thank you for the times we spent together.
Being a cosmopolitan city it also easy to interact with other people from other parts of the world, such as malaysian, vietnamese, mainland chinese, japanese, thai, iranian, native of pacific islander, lebanese, turkish, greek, italian and lots more, these are blend with the native aussie, wow what a colourful beautiful world .


I believe this should be the future of the world.
These people speak english with their own dialect so it is not easy to pick up or to improve our own dialect to standard australian english. There was a tv series that depicting these ethnic diversity called "wogs out of work" very funny and not degrading other ethnics bewdiful.
It was also good opportunity to try out the cuisine of the world, so many to try, but so far i guess my favourite was thai food or chinese. The local Fish and chips or burger are fine while on the run or fishing trip.
Sydney waters also fine for fishing. Me and my buddies always carry fishing tools in the car trunk, so it seem where ever we went we always caught some fishes.
My favourite fishing spot are pier one in the harbour front just below the famous sydney harbour bridge and by the cliff of north bondi.
During long week end we even ventured to gosford and newcastle to port macquarie along the pacific highway, the view was so marvellous. The most common fish we caught are silver n red bream, leather jacket, tuna, flat head.
It was not just fishing but the place, the people, the time, the trip that make it so wonderful. IT WAS THE HAPPY TIMES OF MY LIFE.

On long week end, we manage to drive to canberra via goulburn,only a short distance from sydney. Or went up to the katoomba blue mountains. Every winter i manage to go to thredbo, mount perisher and other spot in snowy mountains.
Other time we drove along the hume highway through wagga wagga, albury, seymour down to melbourne. The country side was so spacious, beautiful, the farm or ranch look so tranquil.
Melbourne itself also a beautiful city by the yarra river. A bit difference than sydney, but also nice. We visited a few friends and stayed in hawthorne for a couple of days before head back to sydney. to make the long stories short.
Times fly so fast when we having fun. Until i realized it's time to go home. My friends bid me farewell at sydney airport as we hug and say goodbye. So long brother and sister. Life went on to a new chapter back in indonesia.
I will remember australia as it was in my memory. I will remember sydney, i will remember my friends, those are the good old days i will cherished it in my heart

No comments: